You are driving down the road and suddenly notice that your Jeep Compass throttle is not responding when changing lanes, gear changes or making maneuvers at speed on the highway. If you notice that happened to you, you should inspect the issue and fix it as soon as possible.
So, keep reading the article to know more about why the Jeep Compass has no throttle response and what you should do when the throttle doesn’t respond.
What causes no throttle response in Jeep Compass?
It’s quite hard to say which part is the actual culprit for no throttle response. Here are some common reasons why you notice no throttle response from your Jeep Compass:
- PCM update issue: Most of the time, due to a software patch update, the vehicle automatically goes into limp mode, creating obstacles in proper throttle response.
- Throttle Position Sensor Malfunction: The sensor notifies the car’s computer how you depress the pedal and controls the fuel supply on the engine. If TPS fails to send data on the ECU, you cannot control the engine speeds using the accelerator. In some cases, there will be no throttle response at all when this occurs, leading to engine speed fluctuating unintentionally.
- Turbo issue: The turbo can develop a hole over time. When oil is injected into the engine through the turbo, the oil leaks from the turbo and causes the problem. Also, you’ll witness black smoke if the turbo faces any fault.
- Dirty or faulty MAF sensor: The mass air flow sensor measures the airflow through the engine air intake system. If the MAF sensor faces any issue due to dirt or damage, it cannot transform proper data to the car’s ECU about the air-to-fuel mixture ratio that directly affects your Jeep throttle response.
- Oxygen sensor malfunction: The sensor analyzes the air-fuel ratio and sends accurate information to the computer. The engine fails to regulate the mixture if it has malfunctioned or is damaged. It will cause the engine to run rich or lean, resulting in slow acceleration.
- Clogged or Dirty Air Filter: You may face a throttle response issue due to blocked or dirty air filters.
- Timing Belt: If the timing belt’s alignment is off, even by just a smidgeon, it’ll affect the opening and closing of the valves, which leads to a throttle response issue.
- Catalytic Converter fails: When it fails to do proper functionality, it’ll provide an improper amount of back pressure on exhaust exits. For this, the engine will be hotter than usual, and you’ll face acceleration problems on your Jeep Compass.
- Throttle body: if the above parts don’t face any issues, the culprit might be the throttle body. When the motor inside the throttle body fails, it causes poor or no throttle response.
How to fix no throttle response issue on Jeep Compass?
If you’re facing no throttle response issue on your Jeep Compass, you should contact the dealer to troubleshoot the problem and fix it. Because the issue is familiar among dealerships as a “KNOWN ISSUE WITH A REPAIR BULLETIN”. It is a common internal issue, and only the mechanics have information about it.
So, when your Jeep Compass automatically goes into limp mode, they’ll reprogram the transmission and PCM to solve it. Also, it’ll be quite hard for you to identify the actual problem if you want to fix your own.
A user spends around one year trying to find the reason for no throttle response even though the FCA aren’t able to diagnose and fix the issue. After a year of struggle, an auto repair mechanic identified that the problem occurred due to a turbo hole caused by an oil leak.
So, if you face the no throttle response issue on your vehicle, contact the dealer for a proper inspection. However, if you want to do it on your own, follow the order of the problems mentioned in the above section.
How much does a throttle pedal position Sensor Replacement cost?
One common reason for no throttle response on the Jeep Compass is the position sensor. If you identify that the problems occur due to it, you need to replace it. The replacement cost will be around $241, whereas the labor cost will be $95, according to Yourmechanic.
Proper throttle response is necessary for a downshift or increases or decreases in the speed of your vehicle. If it suddenly stops responding, you’ll have a hard time driving your car, and it will even be deadly.
So, you should be concerned about this when you fall into the situation. That is the purpose of our guide. The above guide helps you know the cause of no throttle response on your Jeep Compass and what you should do in certain situations.